The crescia is a popular flatbread in the Le Marche region, very similar to the piadina from Romagna. Ask any local what their favourite bread is, and they'll say crescia!
According to legend, this is how this flatbread was born... One day, the sun fell in love with the beautiful town of Urbino, and he flew down lower to admire it - so low, that he got stuck in one of the towers of the Palazzo Ducale! The sun tried to break free, creating sparks in the struggle. This inspired a young baker to form his dough into a golden disc, which would rise (crescere in Italian) and desire to fly high like the sun, called a crescia.
You can decide for yourself whether the tale is true... But one thing we can all agree on is that it's absolutely delicious!
1. Dissolve the yeast in half a cup of hot (not boiling) water.
2. On a wooden work surface, place the flour in the center, make a hollow in the center and pour in the water. Gradually incorporate the dissolved yeast.
3. Then, add the oil and salt and begin to knead the mixture with your hands. When you achieve a smooth, soft dough soft dough that doesn't stick to your hands then it's ready.
4. Form the dough into a ball, and cut a cross on the top with a sharp blade. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and cover it with a clean cloth. Leave to rest for about half an hour.
5. Divide the dough into 7/8 balls, and roll each one to a thickness of 1 cm. These are your crescia breads!
6. You can cook the crescia in a non-stick frying pan, or under the grill on a low heat.
7. Heat the frying pan or grill; when hot, cook the crescia for 10/12 minutes each, turning them regularly to prevent burning.
8. As soon as they are ready, wet the sprig of rosemary with a little olive oil and rub it on the hot crescia to serve.
Le Marche is a wonderful region, full of amazing places and delicious food. Click here to read the story of Franky, an unusual tour guide! You'll find lots of tips and recommendations.
Also, check out some of the experiences you can enjoy with Cesarine in the region. The best place to disover Italian cuisine is in local homes.
Pssst! Can you keep a secret?
Secret Sauce readers get 20% off any experience on our website.
Just insert SECRETSAUCE20 at the checkout.
If you have any questions, you can get in touch with our friendly team!