Rediscovering local flavours, protecting local traditions, and digging up long-forgotten recipes... Cooking isn’t just about food, it’s also about staying connected to where you’re from. Antonio and Flavia have been in our community for many years, and they've shared one of their most precious Sicilian family recipes for you to enjoy.
You might be familiar with Catania and Taormina in Eastern Sicily, but head a little further inland, and you'll find the home of the pistacchio di Bronte. On the slopes of Etna, the soil is rich with volcanic ash and is very fertile. It's also famous for its citrus fruit and vineyards.
Try this traditional Sicilian recipe to make the most of your pistacchi!
1. Preheat oven to 170°.
2. Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Then, beat the whites until they form stiff peaks that hold their shape.
3. In another bowl, mix the sugar into the yolks and beat together until you achieve a light mixture.
4. Add the flour, finely chopped pistachios and baking powder to the sugar and yolk mix. Then gently stir in to the beaten egg whites.
5. Pour the resulting mixture into a greased and floured cake tin.
6. Bake in the oven until the cake's top is lightly golden in colour.
Flavia and Antonio usually serve their torta al pistacchio accompanied by dessert wine.
Here are some experiences you'll love...
Can you keep a secret?
The Secret Sauce readers get 20% off any experience on our website.
Just insert SECRETSAUCE20 at the checkout.
If you have any questions, you can get in touch with our friendly team.